Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Monday, June 24, 2013

Dynafit's Cho Oyu and Nanga Parbat for Fall 2013



Last Winter's OR show in SLC had a few things that really interested me.  A few of them I was really chomping at the bit to get on and get them outside to play with.  While at least a little bit connected and knowing who to ask, doesn't mean you will get what you want no matter how much cash you happen to have.  And I am always strapped for cash for the "want items".

Super stoked to get into the Scarpa Maestrale RS ski boot and the Rebel Ultra early on.  Getting to ski on the new Dynafit Cho Oyu and Nanga Parbat has been harder.   The Cho Oyu was available at the 2013 Vertfest locally for demo.  Anyone could hook up that ride! And many did . Pretty awesome really.  But the Nanga Parbat wasn't to be seen there.  Or here :(

There is a magic number in lwt touring skis I look for.  That is 1000g per ski.  Many race skis will come just under that number but very few "real" skis will.  My Broad Peak and GTRs (167cm and 168cm respectively)  are just over in the 1150g range.  Light and still, almost, real skis.  Good enough for me anyway in any condition I really want to ski.

The  Cho Oyu is listed by Dynafit @ 1080g in a 174cm.  My demos came in at 1192g per ski.   Still doing really good for a slightly wider ski and short 174 compared to the 167/168 skis mentioned previous.

"Dynafit sez:Despite the wide geometry of the ski, the weight is only 1080grams and is thus perfect for deep snow as well as mountaineering and ski expeditions. The Cho Oyo offers a new 3-D flex-tip design and a micro sidewall construction to achieve optimum weight reduction. With ‘scoop’ rocker, triple radius, a paulownia wood core, and new carbon speed stringers for the Cho Oyo. CHO OYO Available length of skis: 174,182,191, MSRP $799.95"

Broad Peak is a 112/74/96mm ski
Cho Oyu is a 124/88/110mm ski





The Nanga Parbat is a 116/80/84mm ski and advertised at 1000g




No question I want to get my hands on the Nanga Parbat,  But while doing the research for this blog piece I realised that Dynafit is still making the Broad Peak.  It just isn't being imported to NA now. 

Hummmmmm.  Hate to do it but this is likely a good source for the Broad Peak and other Dynafit skis no longer imported to NA.  http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/

2014 Dynafit offerings


Sorry, I got distracted there on what is and isn't easily available in the US and North America.  I really like the Cho Oyu.  It is very light for the width and it skis very well.  Up front I really didn't know what to expect on this ski.  I took my 178 cm La Sportiva Lo5s and the Cho Oyu for some booting and short gullies at Crystal.  All skied in a pair of TLTs Ps.

Same gullies, different skis, and the man in the mirror.

First thing I noticed was the lack of weight.  Even with Dynafit rental bindings  the Cho Oyu was a pleasure to haul around and boot with.

My first run was lift assisted to get a feel for the ski.  It seemed a lot like skiing a Broad Peak or a 7 Summit to me.  But interesting enough less swing weight.  And a Broad Peak is no heavy on swing weight.

Of my quiver I thought the Lo5 was the ski would best compare to the Cho Oyu.  Missed that mark by a mile even though the Lo5 is 125/95/115 and the Cho Oyu is 124/88/110mm.   The 178cm  Lo5 is 3# 8 oz per ski.  The Cho Oyu is 2# 6oz per skis.   Add the fact that the swing weight is all under the boot on a Cho Oyu and you really notice the difference skiing and on a boot pack.  So no legit comparison to be had there.

The 174cm Cho Oyu really skis short by comparison as well.  Substantial tip and tail rocker for this size and genre of ski imo is just part of the reason.  The 174cm length even in a slightly wider ski skied like a much shorter ski for me.....closer to a 160cm ski in feel.  They were very quick turn to turn if required.

Lou offers some observations recently on his thoughts and some good pictures of the ski's profiles.
http://www.wildsnow.com/9644/dynafit-cho-oyu-review/

But there is more going on.  Part of it is the weight loss by chopping the ski up piece by piece.  Not that it seems to effect how it skis spring snow mind you.   Really makes me think about having a short Nanga Parbat for the weight reduction and Spring conditions.  And a longer, wider Cho Oyu to ski on winter snow.

Look Ma, no tip!

And a shaved pin tail!

So no comparison of the Cho Oyu to the Lo5 in any way I can think of.  But a very good ski compared to my all around Spring, and stand by, the Broad Peak.   Anything the Broad Peak will do, the Cho Oyu might well do it even better.   With only a 50g weight penalty and a tiny bit (may be enough) more ski under you to make a difference in weird conditions.   The tip and tail rocker and pin tail are going to make a difference in rough snow conditions and soft snow as well.  Much more ski under your feet than the GTR.  Which is another ski I like a lot in 168 and 178 cm lengths.  And a better comparison then the Lo5 to the Ch Oyu.

Love to get a pair of the Cho Oyus out with a set of Dynafit Race bindings screwed on them.  With Rainier in full on corn harvest season right now you can only imagine how much I wanted to pull the demo bindings and get after it on the Cho Oyu.

Bottom line?  For the most part they felt like a lighter Broad Peak to me.  Some of that was good.  But they aren't as damp as a Broad Peak.  The swing weight seemed better enough (less effort) that I am commenting on it.  Not a huge fan of the color or the tip shape.  I know, I know, this from a guy who still wears funky head bands and Vaurnets.  I really liked how much the ski weighted on the pack even with the demo binding.  They were notable in a good way and light.

Both the Cho Oyu and the Nanga Parbat are offering some pretty wild, modern and lwt technology for "speed touring" skis.  I have no doubt from my limited use of the Cho Oyu that either the Cho Oyu or Nanga Parbat are going to be great ski mountaineering ski.  Sad it will take another winter season and some deep snow to comment any further.  But for some winter conditions the Cho Oyu especially might really offer some unique soft snow surprises.  All in a very good way I suspect.  Good turns are only 4 months away if we are lucky. 


9 comments:

jbo said...

Nice write-up, Dane. Lo5 is a tough comparison, the Cho is closer in design to something like the Hagan Y-Flow or the Movement Response-X (formerly the Logic-X). Would love to hear your opinion on the Nangas vs your GTRs if you get ahold of a pair...

Kerwin. said...

Dane,

Thanks for all you do on the blog, truly a community service.

That said, those Nanga's look like a great ski. I think I will be picking up a pair to slot in below my 178 Manaslu's. A 1kg ski, would be a dream for some big traverses and mountaineering objectives.

Any idea on the pricing for the Nanga's?

Dane said...

$800 is retail on the Cho Oyu and Nanga Parbat is $700 retail.

Tim Z said...

Was the weight you listed for the demo skis with the rental binding included?

Dane said...

Just the ski. It weighed a few more grams than advertised. Not uncommon from any company and proto type/1st gen. skis.

Bill Porreca said...

Has there been any word on Dynafit's lightweight skis having sidewall problems. Throughout the years I have spoken and heard from many that the sidewalls in many of their skis continue to blow out or compress from skiing just hard snow/ ice. Have you found this to be the case or heard of it happening?

Dane said...

Hi Bill, I have not. But only really skied the Broad Peak, older 7 Summit and the Huascara hard. I take care of my gear but expect it to ski anything I get on and come out in one piece. So far I haven't had any issues for ski durability other than they aren't as tough as the local geology. Other than pulling bindings out on the old insert system not heard of any problems. Funny though I skied the Broad Peaks hard for a couple of seasons, on lifts and in the BC. Took some nasty falls on the Low tech Race and never pulled a binding. So go figure. And not like I am the typical skinny ass rando boy!

Paddy said...

Hi Dane, looking for your opinion. I'm thinking about the Cho Oyu as sort of a spring and/or nice, light ski for mid-winter high mountain couloir stuff. I'm sort of hung up on choosing a length. My HI-5's and Manaslu's are both 178's, and ski great for my lots-of-turns style. I'm thinking 174 Cho Oyu's, the shorter length would be nice and quick to swing around in tight chutes. BUT, I'm 200 lbs and, well, 174 just sounds really SHORT (especially with you saying they ski short). Should I just go to 182? That sounds long for turning in tight spots....

Dane said...

Hi Paddy, tough call. Mid Winter/Spring snow and the 182 will be really fun. For a Summer ski I'd want a 174.

I ski 190+ most of the winter and would have prefered my Chos in a 174 honestly. Just none available for me this year so I went to the 182. Cho is a super light ski that is easy to turn and it does but it is not a 174. If you are skiing 178s on your other skis I'd reccomend the 174. I typically stay under 178 myself for pure BC skimo stuff. I think you would be a lot happier on the 174. We are close to the same weight. Given a choice I'd be on a 174. My Nangas are a 174. They ski short as well.